2006-06-19

Joel Robuchon

For dinner last night we decided to go to Joel Robuchon again. We had been there two years ago, (scroll down) and decided we liked it so much we decided to eat there again.

We usually don’t eat so early here, but in order to get a seating we left the apartment about 6:30. We arrived about 6:45 after waiting out a brief shower. We waited about ten minutes and were then seated. We had almost the same seats as before, and the same waiter. Some things don’t change so much. An older couple from New York City was seated across the corner from us, and there was an empty seat to my left.

We started out with a wonderful glass of champagne. (I am sorry that I did not write down all the wines or all the food. More in a second about that) The menu (la carte) and the “exploration menu” was put in front of us. When offered a tasting menu we will almost always take it, and we did the same this time. We asked the sommelier to help us with the wines, and we were off.

I won’t be able to remember all the courses, but there was everything from sardines on toast to lobster sashimi. We had sweetbreads as our main meal but also gazpacho. We had two desserts, one was strawberries in a sorbet, the other was a baked chocolate dish with a scoop of mint ice on top. Wonderful.

I mentioned that there was an empty seat next to me when we sat down. It was shortly filled by a fellow. As is usually in such a tight spot, we started talking to him. He was from Savannah – and Doreen lived in Savannah for several years as a child. That was an amazing coincidence.

But wait, there’s more!

He had a digital camera and was taking photos of the food. He offered to send me copies, so I gave him my e-mail address. I started spelling it out and pronouncing it as I do in Houston (pea-yet). He said “That’s not pea-yet, that PATE!” it turns out that he is friends with my cousin Jimmy’s son Jim (who is about 50). He even called him later in the meal and had me talk to him. Now THAT is a coincidence. If I get those photos, I will post the best ones here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home